View Single Post
Old 22-03-21, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hi Walt

Thanks for that. I still cannot understand how it can be on the the NCD rank flap. That's not a device easily modified without some Authority.
Because
I'm guessing with the neutering of their non-commissioned rank that we'll see the same for this title. "Cattle Sub"? "Bovine Sub"? "Cow" is female-gendering, right?

Speaking to a few senior RCN CPO1 types recently, I suggested that, with the Sailor/Seaman swop, Boatswain and Coxswain will have to go too!! Not well received!!!

regards
Darrell
Too funny Darrell , but sadly probably true.

More info from the lads over at MILNET.CA regarding the Bull Sub:

"An unofficial position (although codified to varying extents in different Wardroom mess constitutions) held by a Sub-Lieutenant on board. Typically a senior NWO SLt, although some ships open up the position to engineering and log.

From a mess perspective, they help the SLt cadre speak as a unified group (with numbers that can sway many mess votes) and act as a liaison between the SLts and the other parties in the Wardroom. They typically also have control over a "Bull Sub Chit", which is a standing authority to spend a predetermined amount of mess funds per month for social events or the like (in reality often tightly controlled by the XO).

From a divisional perspective, if the Bull Sub is a senior NWO SLt they will often act as the Navigating Officer's 2IC/Adjutant/Enforcer/etc. to assign taskings, compile admin for the division, etc. In a FG ship with 10-15 NWO SLts it becomes an important role to allow the NavO to have time to complete their non-divisional duties.
"

Walt

Last edited by Walt P; 22-03-21 at 03:20 PM.