View Single Post
Old 14-05-12, 10:29 PM
Peter J

Default ANORAK ALERT!!! - you have been warned!

I thought this might be of interest to anyone who has been following this thread... unmarked Woodward badges.

It is my opinion that the badge pictured on the right (without the maker's mark) is an F. E. Woodward, badge:

Woods 001.jpg

After close study of the Woodward badges in my collection, I found that every one of their sliders measures:

Length = 38.5mm or 39mm
Width at bend = 5mm or 5.5mm
Width 3mm from bottom = 4mm

The dimensions of slider of the right-hand badge above, falls precisely within these parameters. Here it is (again on the right) slider-to-slider with a Woodward-made Army Cyclists Corps example:

Woods 2 003.jpg

Below, I have shown the badge in question, placed next to a Woodward-marked 25th London Cyclists, which I think clearly demonstrates the close similarity of the two strikes:

Woods 003.jpg

Woods 006.jpgWoods 2 007.jpg

Woods 2 006.jpgWoods 009.jpg

Lastly, the unmarked badge has a very deep crimp. To illustrate that this characteristic occasionally features on marked badges, here is the unmarked badge shown next to a maker-marked 19th County of London, example:

Woods 012.jpg

My attention was first drawn to the possibility of unmarked Woodward badges, after seeing a Royal Fusiliers badge in an album of forum friend. It too has an unmarked slider, and bears a remarkable similarity to its Woodward-marked counterpart.

If anyone has examples that they think may be unmarked Woodward badges, please feel free to add them to this thread.

I am sure you will now all sleep more soundly this evening after reading this post .

Regards to all,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 14-05-12 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo... yet again!!!!!!!!!!!