View Single Post
Old 22-06-19, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Are you suggesting Gaunt didn’t manufacture Para badges post WW2?

I own a badge with no signs of loops and know of 3 others identical, 1 with this 1950s mark. Clearly they were made that way, so post war.

Why would an WW2 issued badge be returned to the factory +5 years later for modification when they can make another?
Hi Luke,

Of course Gaunt made Para badges post WW2, I have Queen's crown examples marked J.R. Gaunt London.

The King's crown badge with a Gaunt marked slider in question has the same die flaws associated with some WW2 lugged other ranks badges. Collectors have identified that these flaws are the same die flaws that are present on the silver hallmarked badges produced by Gaunt in WW2. It is therefore reasonable to assume that these other ranks badges were also produced by Gaunt and that the subject of this thread is also a WW2 Para badge by Gaunt.

In addition to the die flaws there is residue brazing solder where the lugs were fitted. When the slider pocket was introduced to berets post war there may have been a surplus of lugged KC Gaunt badges which were then converted to slider by Gaunt for use in these berets.

I have not seen any documentation to support this, but I believe it is a fair assumption to make unless a better explanation is put forward.

Cheers,
Jack.