View Single Post
Old 10-10-09, 06:35 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
A lot of British Officers badges are silvered (not sure if that is solid), Officers are Lieutenants to Lieutenant Colonels* (Pronounced as Leftenant) Loo tenants are American. Halmarked badges are less common, the rank Lance Corporal and Corporal and in the Guards Lance Sergeant, The Household Cavalry (H Cav) Lance Corporal of Horse and the Artillery Bombardiers are all Junior Non-Commissioned officers (JNCO) and wear standard (Other ranks badges). Sergeants and Colour/Staff Segeants, Corporals of Horse and Staff Corporals (H Cav) are senior NCOs and in most cases wear ORs badges, Warrant Officers in some cases wear a bespoke badge, but are neither NCOs or officers. The H Cav and Guards Regiments in particular have different cap badges for OR, SNCO and WO.

Hope that has not confused too much!

*Colonels, Brigadiers and General wear staff badges.
Andy, What you have said about silver/rank/bespoke etc bears out the
ones I have (all KC) - a couple are HM'd, 2 are marked sterling and one which looks like unmarked silver but also has some sort of dark enamel(?)
within the 'grooves' i.e. it highlights the letters - this particular one is on a side cap - it looks it 'belongs' to the cap and doesn't look as if it has added
at a later date. Now I must look at the others as well. Thanks.