View Single Post
Old 06-12-20, 07:42 AM

You do encounter Gaunt plates on some of their die cast OSD badges for time to time, I often wondered if it was just down to particular individuals who were tasked with finishing them towards the end of the manufacturing, who might have just liked attaching plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Andy (and others)
I've been away so have missed this thread up until now, which I have found very interesting and useful... A question about the Gaunt tablets! I have a number of die cast Gaunt bronze OSD badges with the MM stamped into the badge, so why would they suddenly use a tablet on a die cast badge? I can understand them using a tablet on a die struck badge. but not die cast. Can you please explain that?
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Two years on and I've just seen this query.
you presumably mean 'die struck' in your second line.
This simplifies the answer; stamping a maker's mark into fairly solid cast bronze would not disfigure the badge. If you did the same on a thin die struck badge it would probably come through to the front of the badge. - hence attaching a tablet instead !
Incidentally, Firmin OSD badges have what looks like a raised tablet on the back as part of the casting - it was then stamped with the maker's name.