View Single Post
Old 11-03-21, 04:15 PM

Question Economy Gold Badge

Spotted what I thought was a gold hallmarked Women's Section badge and snapped it up ! Didn't really check the details or the actual hallmark but later on had a good look and discovered it is "Silver Gilt".

From Assay Office site :
  • The term ‘Silver gilt’ may be used to describe gold plated silver, providing a specific gold fineness is not applied as part of the description e.g. silver gilt ring.
  • The gold plated layer must be of fineness of at least 375 parts per thousand and should not exceed 2 microns in thickness.

It is a really nice badge but it got me wondering if this was an "economy" version of the 'Gold Award' badge ?

While a Branch may have wanted to reward a member for their service they may not have wanted/been able to spend the funds required for a solid gold badge.

The "British Legion Memorabilia" website lists the manufacturer ( B.H.C. & Co ) as a maker of gold badges in 1980 , my 'gilt' badge is hallmarked 1978 so perhaps they also were 'fooled' ?

I have a later WS "Golden Award" badge which is not gold or even gilt but simply gold tone , so perhaps the habit of solid gold badges is dying out ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Front.jpg (60.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg WS Rear.jpg (60.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WS Golden Award F.jpg (75.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WS Golden Award R.jpg (94.2 KB, 6 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted