View Single Post
Old 28-09-20, 08:53 AM

I always assumed the Pascal Lamb would be a Middle Eastern breed like a Jacob, but probably the first depictions would have come from medieval England so perhaps not.

Going back to die statistics I have been looking at Devonshire Regiment badges in some detail for a while, there are lots of different dies and only a couple with makers marks, but I'm starting to look more closely at the device centre bottom of the circlet often described as a "Rose", the Rose was used in the centre of Devonshire Regiment Buttons for a short period 1881-1883 until Exeter Castle became normal so it has associations with the Regiment, this device has a huge variety of stiles either with 4 or 5 elements/petals? and interestingly similar devices appear on the walls of some older houses in Cullompton where I live. It could be that different badge making companies made their own Rose so they could identify their product or perhaps its just artistic license, perhaps the number of berries on a Norfolk Regiment Badge could also have a similar potential hidden meaning?

Anyway its an interesting subject.

Rob