View Single Post
Old 28-09-20, 07:45 AM

Jay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
JT, I recently was examining the F.E. Woodward QRWS EI 1916 GM variant. It appears Woodward may have produced contemporary unmarked badges along with their MM version but it also looks like there possibly is a much later re-strike as well. The sliders look like they’re possibly the key to differentiating unmarked Woodwards from re-strikes.
Woodward did indeed produce unmarked QRWS badges in addition to their maker-marked examples. To date, I have never encountered a bi-metal badge that bears a maker mark, despite my best efforts to track one down. If any forum members have such a badge I would be very grateful if they would be willing to post a picture. All the examples I have ever seen bearing the Woodward mark have been all-G/M, though not every all-G/M lamb carries the mark.

With regard to the much later badges to which you refer, there is a badge which I consider to be extremely spurious. I wonder if it is the same one you are thinking of? My theory is that someone possibly acquired the old Woodward dies and started knocking out these abominations (below):

Restrike 1.jpg Restrike 2.jpg

Clearly related to the kosher Woodward badges but more of an evil twin that a kissing cousin. Slider attached to the back of the flag (though there are examples which have the slider attached to the body of the lamb), poor definition to the scroll... the list goes on.

Quote:
Are your observations with the Woodward versions similar with mine above? Also if you have a BM MM Woodward or a similar BM unmarked Woodward version, do both or either have the die flaw on the reverse left scroll near its end?
Are you able to provide an example of the die flaw to which you refer? I am not familiar with it.

Quote:
Rather than BM badges coming after their EI counterparts as you suggested earlier, I’ve been theorizing the BM versions came first and their EI matches came afterward.
I think perhaps I may not have been clear with the point I was making (apologies). I do not suggest all-G/M badges preceded bi-metal badges. My point is that where we see pre-1924, bi-metal QRWS badges with white-metal, overlaid scrolls which have lettering stamped into the brass section of the scroll (see images below) that it would seem logical to conclude that manufacturers (on the cessation of the production of all-G/M badges in 1919) might simply have adapted their excess all-G/M stock, by applying white metal scrolls directly on top of the unsupplied all-G/M badges. If this is correct, it then becomes possible to say with certainty that certain variants were issued/in use post-1919.

JT QRWS 1.jpg
JT QRWS 2.jpg

If the white-metal scroll were to be removed from the badge in the pictures above, it would reveal an all-G/M badge beneath (as in the example below):

JY QRWS 3.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 28-09-20 at 07:56 AM.