View Single Post
Old 07-08-13, 08:01 AM

Hi Mike,
Sorry cant help with a positive ID, as I have the same questions about two similar tabs/titles I have. Mine are the letters S.A.T.S.(which probably stands for South African Training Ship), one been blue on white like yours and the other red on black. These are also a rectangular piece of material like yours, so may come from the same period. I have an article on the dress of the SA Navy written by Commander Mac Bisset of the Naval Museum and he does not mention these titles at all.

I have a feeling these may have been used between the wars and worn on the lower sleeves of ratings tunics, but this is only speculation.

Regards
Steven

I have just re-read the navy uniform article and there is mention of the SANS (South African Naval Service 1922-1939) wearing SANS/SASD titles above the lace curl by officers. The ratings wore the same initials within an embroidered circle on the cuff. I have seen one of these in a Cape Town collectors collection.
So if the SANS were wearing these between the wars, maybe the SATS and RNVR also wore them and would explain our badges.
Most of these naval units amalgamated in 1940 to form Seaward Defence force and renamed SA Naval Forces in 1942. They all wore an orange diamond on the cuff during the war years.

Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 07-08-13 at 09:39 AM.