View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Here we go again , its not a "M"otto, its a can of worms.

Some Warrant Officer once shouted at a trooper "we don't call it a cab badge we call it a Motto" and since then every "Walt" (Walter Mitty) with no connection to this proud Regiment has jumped on the band wagon and joined in.

If you have never been in the 17th or 17th/21st Lancers you have no right to call it a Motto IMHO, to us mortals it's a cap badge.

Rob
Hello

Here we go again.....so it seems

The cap badge of the 17L, 17/21L QRL & RL is a 'Deaths head' over an 'Or Glory' scroll and together they constitute the regimental motto 'Death or Glory' hence the badge is known as a 'Motto' because it is.

Regardless of whether you're a member of any of the aforementioned Regiments or a civilian its a 'Motto'. Hence Cap Motto's, Collar Motto's, Arm Motto's etc.

However, its also a cap badge to the uninitiated, and if this term is used in front of a Regimental member it's mostly likely they would be politely corrected.
Basically its not wrong for a civilian to call it a Cap Badge they're just uninformed.

So, it all seems straight forward IMO, not a can of worms, nor has it anything to do with WO's shouting, 'Walt's' or Band wagons

I hope that's a help
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !