Thread: lace
View Single Post
Old 28-11-13, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Gd morning Bryan

I gave a cursory glance through your postings and it will evidently take quite a bit of time to really appreciate the content.
While not strictly a 'lace' subject, however a naval rank in it's own right, the insignia for Midshipmen. I may have missed them but if not, did the rank exist within RCN and attendant navies?
I am posting a couple of scans of pairs of turnbacks to the RNR and RNVR. These were found in a box of heavily mothed wartime cloth insignia, including commonwealth pilots' wings which I posted in an earlier post. Unfortunately, there were no white turnbacks there to the RN.
GTB
Yes I have a lot in the RCN section but I wished to cover all of the rate & rank badges & show how the RCN insignia went thru that major insignia change during 1949-1950. & I have not even got to the RCNVR & RCNR officer insignia yet!

I have the RCNVR Midshipman insignia, its identical to the example you have posted but it has, of course, the CANADA button. I don't have an RCNR (blue) example & wish I did. I have been on the lookout for one of those for many yrs, but RCNR material is very hard to come by now as it was a small force in 2WW & not much has survived 70 yrs on. Altho Canada has the 3rd largest Navy during 2WW it was due to the fact that the RCNVR was the largest in terms of manpower. Both the regular RCN & the RCNR were considerably smaller.

I will attach photos of RCN - Officer (Naval) Cadet, & Midshipman lapel insignia.

& I think I better request Bill transfer this whole topic to the RCN section as I feel that's where it belongs now.

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midshipman RCNVR.jpg (66.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Officer cadet RCN.jpg (69.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Midshipman RCN.jpg (65.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by RCN; 28-11-13 at 02:48 PM.