View Single Post
Old 17-05-16, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Nice one thanks Mike - I have the Durhams card and will post it to the album, they are a great reference set and will look to pick up more.

Of interest is to where they were worn as some cards refer to them being worn on the rear of the tunic and one can understand that in assaults and trench warfare etc, cheers Dean.
Dean,

I think it depended on which Battalion as to where exactly they were worn, from the little research I have done at the IWM the tops of both arms and the top of the back seem to be reasonably generic for Battalion insignia, of course Company insignia is something different as may Battalions would not have worn such and as already pointed out such insignia may have been worn only for a specific operation or otherwise short period of time and possibly not officially sanctioned, additionally coloured insignia worn on the back was used for other reasons such as for example designating those tasked with cutting wire, so if they became a casualty someone else could take the wire cutters off the body, a most confusing area of study and of course collecting.

Kind Regards

FMT600

P.S. What great examples you have in your album, thank you for sharing them.

Last edited by FMT600; 17-05-16 at 07:09 AM.