View Single Post
Old 17-06-22, 01:24 PM

Default Cubs

I had just finished posting about the Scouts badge when I spotted this badge in a small job lot of British Legion badges.

The lot was "buy it now" or "make an offer" , so I (being cheap !) was about to offer a lower amount but then discovered there were three 'offers' already in.

As I have been after this badge for years I decided not to risk missing out so bought it.

British Legion Cubs
Quote:
"The Cubs were introduced in 1935 and each month details were sent to its members telling the stories of "Peter and the Gang"

Members of the club under the age of fourteen and war orphans were given their own badge and membership card and were encouraged to do good deeds for ex-servicemen.

The club didn't survive the war however being "disbanded" due to a paper shortage in 1941."
in Brian Harding's book "Keeping Faith - The History of The Royal British Legion" there is basically one paragraph.

Quote:
" It seems to have been intended as a low key propaganda activity among the young : Peter and his friends had a poor opinion of politicians and those who had not joined up in the war , while performing good deeds for ex-servicemen".
So , not really a 'youth club' and possibly the "paper shortage" was just an excuse to stop the political 'propaganda' ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Cubs.jpg (67.6 KB, 12 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted