View Single Post
Old 17-12-13, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
I am more than happy to accept this badge is a fake and 'not liked'.

My question remains, if it is a fake/copy, what is it a fake/copy of?

At 14% smaller than the slouch hat badge, was there ever a collar version of the 'Crowned SS'? The Sharpshooter museum does not appear to have one.

It may be a naive question but if it is a fake, with all the time, tooling and expense required, shouldn't there be a number of these in circulation?

PeterA
Hi Peter,

At first glance the badge looks theatre made but the loops tell another story. Also the back shows that the attempted sand-cast effect does not have the same manufacturing signs as other Yeomanry badges from that period. The Sharpshooter collars from 1901-1914 were the crossed rifles with crown and scroll, usually touted as a headdress badge (but not actually worn as a headress badge). The photos from post #8 are very similar to a) Slouch Hat badge 18th Bn I.Y. and b) the smaller shoulder title 1903-1908.

It is possible that the shoulder title worn before 1903 was the same badge design as the one that is in doubt. Those loops are not from that period however. So my best guess is that the badge is an attempt to copy either an unknown S/T pre 1903 or the larger 21st Bn I.Y Slouch Hat Badge.

Best,

Garry