View Single Post
Old 06-06-09, 01:27 PM

Default Increased demand during the Great War

Hello GD

Thank you for clarifying your views on sub-contracting in connection to badge manufacture, and that your comments were particularly in relation to an increase of demand during the Great War. As your quoted comment above was posted to a thread specifically about later anodised aluminium badges, there was certainly nothing to indicate a context with a proliferation of sub-contractors at the beginning of the First World War.

Now that you have clarified this, hopefully others may indeed be able to debate your view point. As I have said, whilst I can understand sub-contractors supplying sliders or lugs, I still can’t see a firm like Gaunt having badges made by another company and then marking them as their own. I’m sure that during the War smaller firms did start making badges to meet the increased demand, but that isn’t quite the same thing as a company like J. R. Gaunt & Son buying in badges to put their makers’ mark on them. Maybe someone else knows more about all of this, because as a new collector I’d really be keen to know if this did happen!

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”