View Single Post
Old 30-10-10, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
For the first time in months I was able to find some time to visit the infamous CMHQ reports that are on-line at DHH. As Recce stated, Report 150 comes back as a 404 Error. I contacted DND web support through the provided link and they confirmed that the DHH site was still undergoing some problems with certain reports. As I had specified report 150 the DND technician included a PDF copy as an attachment to her e-mail. In other words, within hours of asking for the link to be repaired I had the report on my hard drive.
Recce - if you still need this send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.
Chaudiere - very pleased to hear that you had a successful visit but dismayed at your reception by the Special Collections people. I know many of them and they have always been great with me. Next time you are in town let me know and I will walk over to LAC and provide whatever assistance I can.
To all - LAC will always give you 24 hour service from the time you request a document, in person, to the time you receive the document. The exceptions are documents which are still classified, undergoing preservation or microfilming, or which are still be accessioned.
The 24 hour service standard does not apply when you make the request on-line. This is because there is no staff dedicated to these requests so they are done on an ad hoc basis. In other words, it could be two days before someone opens your e-mail and another couple of days before they find time to complete the request form on your behalf.
As I stated earlier, make an e-mail request for 10 items as early as possible but, once you arrive at the reading room, submit all of your requests (100+) right away. During the summer they may try to limit you to 10-12 at a time but that doesn't mean that you cannot submit 8-10 requests, each with 10-12 items.
You can reserve lockers in the reading room and access these after hours. If you have a 'tall-boy' (a cart capable of transporting 15 double-size archives boxes) a Commissionaire can retrieve this for you and put it away when you are done. You can call up the tall-boy the following night, etc...
bring a camera and charger (or batteries) There are outlets for laptops and cameras at most tables. No flash is permitted but the rules now allow you you to use a tri-pod. You must have a camera strap as they are concerned about your equipment falling on a document and damaging it.
When going to LAC to photograph photos you can satisfy yoursself with a shot of the contact sheet (the 'red' books for the Cdn Army) or you can take note of the negative number and order up the negative which will be delivered within - you guessed it - 24 hours. The exception is nitrate film which is only delivered Thursdays. With the Negative in hand you can use an LAC light table and take a proper copy negative. If your camera has a 'negative' setting then you will actually see a positive image in your view finder. Many photos which appear in my books are sourced this way.
In any event, ask questions of the staff and enjoy yourselves.
Clive

(Bill, maybe an edit of portions of this and a 'sticky' on how to research at LAC?)

I second Mr Bills comment, Whoever a few weeks ago I sent A PM To Mr Bill, I contacted LAC by @ and in 2 hrs I got a reply It also depends on how many request they get.

Mr Clive Are you Joking,Lol You got It, Hum Is it Appendix A? is 14 pages, how many pages over 100?. I sent an @ to DHH they replied as always for years same thing. I'll send you My @ I went to the Web Site after what you stated and when I click to download I got the 404 Error, again.

Quote:
Thank you for visiting the Canadian Forces website and for taking the time to write to us with your observations regarding accessing an on-line document.

The Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH) website, on whose pages your document resides, is down for maintenance, and naturally would have encountered problems. Please do as Public Inquiries Desk is doing: attempting to access DHH pages periodically.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Regards,
A.Tom
Public Inquiries Desk/Bureau des demandes de renseignements du public
ADM(PA) / SMA(AP)
DND/MDN
Tel./tél: 613-995-2534
Fax/télécopieur: 613-992-4739
Email/courriel: information@forces.gc.ca
Web: www.forces.gc.ca