View Single Post
Old 15-09-10, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Mike, One last suggestion. Figure out some way of recording references for the docs / images that you take. The photocopies taken at LAC were usually stamped on the back of one of the sheets and pertinent information was written in for the appropriate reference. With a digital camera, my understanding is that the onus is completely on the researcher to keep a record of the pertinent reference.
Hoping to see images of all kinds of shoulder titles...
Bill,

It is required by LAC that every photo include the archival reference. To help the researcher comply with this they supply small slips of paper with their logo and disclaimer on private use only. These are more often ignored than followed. I tend to be lazy and satisfy myself with taking a photo of the box data which gives RG number and Volume number. The drawback is that it doesn't give me the file name/number within the box but I don't mind the trade-off.
For photos it is a good idea to take your copy photo and include the negative number found written on the edge of the contact. This number can then be tracked backwards through Archivia for caption data IF it has been digitized and uploaded by LAC. I also take a photo of the top of the page in the red books which usually provide; location, unit, date and photographer.
There are complete captions but the organization at LAC make it impossibkle to refrer to these as you take photos ;o(