View Single Post
Old 19-09-21, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Fair enough Leigh I don’t doubt you. Just the area circled I couldn’t see it and felt it looked very off centre (to the viewers right) of the cap going by its peak.

Second pic is interesting. The badge looks lighter than the buttons but not as bright as the buckle, which I assume as a prop would perhaps polished? As Alan says it may be an all GM badge which just hasn’t been polished.

I found this pic online. States he’s 6th Bn but the badge looks blacked going by the buttons. Might he have transferred?
No, there's room for doubt, I think I'm looking at an East Yorks type badge, if you can't see it then I'm happy with that, I think I'm right but maybe not.

Sgt Arthur Gresty, East Yorks and Labour Corps (his East Yorks serial number has a "3" prefix, is that Special Reserve Bn?).
Could he be wearing a blackened badge as a make do carry over from previous service in a Battalion that wore them?

The Vic crowned belt lockets feature in some studio portraits of non-regular troops in WWI, they're usually on belts of a lighter shade, buff leather or brown, the belts worn in the two images I've shown may be black, rather than a studio prop Vic VB Rifles ones that are issued?

Photos seem to be raising more questions rather than providing answers.