View Single Post
Old 19-10-12, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janman View Post
Hi there, I realise this is a real long shot given the age of this post but I have literally just begun searching for my family genealogy and googled my great grandfather "Major John Mcdonald Johnston", latterly from Wellington, who served in both the Boer War and in the 1st World War. I believe the gentleman you refer to in this post may well be my great grandfather and would love to know whatever information you have, and perhaps fill in some gaps for you if my mum has that information, and you're interested of course

I look forward to hearing back from you should you ever receive this message. Many thanks, Jan.
Hello Jan,

As you will probably know ,Major John Mcdonald Johnston 's army file is online at New Zealand archives, achives.govt.nz.

It outlines his involvement in the Great War.He served as a quartermaster Officer in the NZRB for a time.Unfortunately his service was cut short due to illness.He did indeed serve in the 2nd South Africa(Boer) war,but there is no mention of which force he served in.

I did find one reference to Johnston in the official history of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade.Page 63 in a list of 3rd Battalion. officers....''Capt.J.McD Johnston to be Major ,and to be quartermater''.

Regards Iain

Last edited by pukman; 02-11-12 at 05:29 PM.