View Single Post
Old 26-01-08, 11:33 AM

Following my comments in post 14 of this thread (and John M’s comments in post 15), I thought I’d share some of my research with fellow collectors. There are three types of the King’s “rocking horse” pattern cap badge; pattern 10042/1926 (sorry, I inadvertently added an extra nought in the earlier post) sealed on 15th Sept 1926 – K&K got the wrong date but I grant you, it probably didn’t reach units until 1927. (This pattern was officially superseded by Pattern 14312 on 13th April 1950. The new badge was similar to Type 2 but at ⅔ the size.)

There are three distinct types of this badge known, all quite common. The first two are just manufacturer’s variations though I suspect that Type 3 is slightly later.
Type 1 - straight legs / long tail; short mane. The bi-metal version has long and short sliders and I’ve never seen one without braze holes – though they come in different patterns. This type is also known in all (blackened) GM (5th Bn) and all WM (7th Bn). Officer’s S&G and bronze SD known by Firmins. I’ve never seen the bi-metal with a makers name but I assume they are also Firmin’s.

Type 2 - crooked legs / short tail; bushy mane. The bi-metal comes with and without braze holes. Also known in all [blackened] GM (5th Bn) and all WM (7th Bn). Officer’s S&G, bronze SD and the bi-metal all known by Gaunts (though Ludlow also made officer’s badges in this type).

Type 3 – straight legs / short tail; short mane. Only known in bi-metal and I’ve never seen one with braze holes or a makers name (well, possibly, I have some ideas which I’m pursuing). None known in all GM or all WM – which might also suggest that it is a late type.

If anyone has any further information on these types – particularly for Type 3, I’d be very grateful.
Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0336small.jpg (31.4 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by KLR; 26-01-08 at 11:36 AM.