View Single Post
Old 29-05-20, 09:52 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

I thought it might help to offer my view and some images of the GR V and GR VI Norfolk Yeomanry cap badges. I’m not suggesting this is the definitive or Im in anyway an expert but Ive owned and handled lots of Norfolk Yeomanry insignia and two cap badges came from my grandad and great uncle.

The smaller approx 40mm badges seen and offered, mostly in GV in my view are not Norfolk Yeomanry. I’ve not seen anything to support them being worn and most of them I see are wrong uns, repro, restricts etc anyway. The NY GV and a GVI badges are larger approx 55mm. The badges are also a lovely golden gilding metal, sturdy, quote thick gauge and flat backed. They almost seem die cast.

There have been debates about the GV badges marked BP & Co Ld B’ham and I can’t offer anything on the maker or challenge any view as to if it’s Bodill, Parker & Co. Ltd or Bent & Parker but in my view these badges are genuine.

I’ve not seen a large GV wrong un but the GVI badge is repro’d. But these, even when faked up or artificial aged are mostly on lugs, very flimsy and easily bent, not flat backed and a horrible yellow brass. They are often on EBay and I’ve spotted several on dealers sites.

I’ve put some images on to illustrate this and as I’ve said this is just my view.