View Single Post
Old 14-09-17, 10:07 AM

Whilst no documentation for the anodised aluminium 9th Lancers badge has been identified, there is an unusual anomaly with this badge. If we assume that it is something manufactured outside of usual MOD contracts that are recorded, what is odd is that there are also anodised aluminium collar badges for this regiment.

I have seen a few of the cap badges over the years and they all present generally in immaculate condition which would tend to support the theory that they were not issued in the traditional sense - or perhaps ever worn.

Whilst I cannot back up my theory with any credible evidence, I would suspect that they may have been made for recruits but clearly never issued and ordered outside of the usual procurement processes (this may explain why they are all in very good condition). It may also explain the collar badges being existence. I suspect that this badge is not a fake in its own right but made and never issued. Off the top of my head, I cant think of any other faked anodised collar badges. A huge expense for little return.

I did contact the 9/12L association on one occasion. My enquiry was if the 9th and 12th Lancers anodised badges ever worn by any of the members to their recollection? The reply was that they were worn in training by recruits. Well . . . perhaps. I wasn't wholly convinced. The anodised 12th Lancers however also have collars and indeed anodised titles, but they too present in pristine condition.

We do know that anodised badges were issued to recruits only to be discarded for brass badges once at the regular Battalions. A good example of this practice being the Loyal Regt - which I understand tends to explain the scarcity of the Kings Crown example of this anodised aluminium cap badge.

As ever chaps, more than happy to be corrected.

Regards all

Bess