View Single Post
Old 24-10-08, 01:38 AM

Default NZ Camel Corps/NZMR reinforcement badges

Hello fellow badge collectors.I bought a genuine NZ Camel corp badge several months back (1 of about 15).I posted a picture and started a forum on the excellent NZMR association website(NZ camel corps made up from troopers of the NZMR) In that forum an Australian gent sent a picture of another unofficial badge of the NZ Imperial Camel corp which was shown in the Official magazine of the Camel corp.The fern badge was unknown by me at the time ,although consulting with a leading NZ badge collector and authority on the matter as well as NZ's leading militaria dealer.The badge they identified was the set of badges wrongly referred in Corbetts book as King Edwards Horse,NZ squadron,1st pattern.It is in fact , sandcast badges made in Palestine in 1917,ruling out KEH involement(the British colonial unit served in France in W.W.1.) The NZ camel corp seem to have adopted these fern badges in 1917.I recently bought the Cap badge on trademe as no one else was bidding.It seems that the cap badge of this set is rarer the the standing camel one.There seems to be more collar badges, although in W.W.1 collar badges were sometimes worn as cap badges.I am having a short article published in the New Zealand Military Historical Society's journal on camel corps badges,although i don't profess to being an expert at all.

Also of interest on the NZMR site to badge collectors ,i have a forum subject and a webpage illustrating some of my NZMR reinforcement cap badges(excellent graphics).Cheers Pukman