View Single Post
Old 03-03-08, 04:45 AM

Verbal orders were received from H.Q. M.D.#2 to mobilize for duty as a CASF unit on June 7 1940. Confirmation in writing was received on June 10 1940 from H.Q. M.D.#2.

From Sept1939 until mobilization June 1940, the Regiment supplied Guard units at Camp Borden, the Base at Weston Ontario and the Hamilton Airport.

After training was completed, the moved to Nova Scotia Halifax, Debert, York Redoubt, etc, and a small detachment went to Gaspe Quebec. The Regt embarked for the UK on October 28 1942, then to Italy on October 27, 1943.
These dates were not off the top of my head, although I had a very close idea. I had to refer to my website to get them.

I do suspect very very strongly that this Officer was 2nd Bn. In my opinion he would have been too old for active service with the Regt in the Field. Certainly none of the Vets recall him.

The Hackle he is sporting is an Officers only hackle, its not really a hackle at all, it more resembles a shaving brush. I have a photo of the 2nd Bn Adjutant Major Gee, also a WWI vet, he wears the same brush. I can not recall correct name for these.

If you ever decide to part with the Irish Tunic, by all means let me know.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca