View Single Post
Old 25-02-15, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauph197 View Post
Awesome Todd, you just showed me a brand new site that I was ignoring the existence. The story is interesting.

Thanks a lot!

Just a bit of modernism, here is the "sewing kit" that is still issued today in the CF. It is mostly to repair something. We are no more asked to sew badges on. This one is mine and it is brand new.
You're not asked to sew badges on because there is a service available. Should the day ever come when that service isn't there and you get issued badges which need to be sewn on then you'll find yourself needing that housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
In my old regiment 1QRR we used to have a tailor visit each Company for about 2 days a week.
But to my recollection only for adjusting battledress blouses & trousers also greatcoats.
The sewing on of badges & chevrons you had to do yourself.
You had your 'Housewife' of course!
I can recall now, during basic training, having instructions as how to sew & darn socks correctly.
We also used to have a barber visit each Company one day a week.
Both barber and tailor were established in their own shops on any main barracks we were in. On my last BAOR posting we even had a chip van which came onto the square after last post and stayed there until about 2am. (No it wasn't Wolfgang for those in the know lol)

The only time I saw a difference to the status quo was when my squadron was detached at Warminster and we went to work at purpose built hangars in Harman Lines, about a mile away from the School of I. We had to return to the School for accommodation and garrison services although there was a small Naafi shop which opened for Naafi break and lunch at Harman Lines.

The barber at the school of I was one of the more famous ones in the army. He and I became firm friends through a shared interest in music. A friendship which remained for many years after I left the army until his death in 2000. He was actually given a military funeral even though he'd never served.