View Single Post
Old 19-07-20, 03:59 PM

I have just looked at the regimental history ( Rand Light Infantry compiled by Major B G Simkins) and it is spelled out quite clearly. If I may quote on the bit that I feel is relevant ..."In February 1947 orders were received that no South African Divisional flashes would be allowed to be worn on uniforms in future and , in October , helmets gave way to brown seamless berets which were imported from England. Helmets were retained and worn only on ceremonial parades. A blue material was sewn to the beret to form a background to the badge.Immediately under the badge , a silk flash with Regimental colours was worn..."
Later he explained the rose, which confirms what Arthur said. ..."In 1948, authority ws received to wear the Tudor Rose on the Regimental flash. The Tudor Rose is part of Princess Margaret's heraldic emblem and the honour of wearing it was bestowed on the Regiment by her Royal Highness when she became the Colonel in Chief in 1947. ( Due to unforseen circumstances , the wearing of the Tudor Rose was not possible until the annual training camp in 1952)..."
So the rose was worn from 1952 , at least until 1964. Does anyone know when the rose was discontinued ?
Thanks for all the input.
Mike