View Single Post
Old 10-08-20, 02:48 PM

Yes, I would tend to agree with that. The "hair splitting" I mentioned over whether the original die was used or not is mostly irrelevant because, the restrikers either could not obtain or failed to get the exact, MOD designated alloy right, (which greatly affects the colour of a badge) and because of the difficulty inherent in its use, high-temperature solder used to affix lugs and sliders isnt correct either, which was also a tried and tested industry standard, not used for many years before restrikes became the problem outlined by Frederick Wilkinsons additional notes in his 1970's publications, which these people could just not reproduce well enough.

Most badges I examined, where compostite alloys were used, employed these gas-escape vents, and the badges that diddnt need them like the bi-metal Notts & Derby, West Yorks and Lincolnshire Regiments to name but a few, always had the same manufacturing characteristics. There are a few notable exceptions however such as The Royal Artillery badges of c. WW1 which have a pair of half-loops either side of a slider, (behind the ubique scroll) which is also folded over at the top, for added strength at what was clearly a weak point. Some of the cavalry regiments with fine detail (which often broke off) also had strengthening strips added, especially in the lances and I had 9th and 5th Lancers badges in my collection that had these. I also cannot speak for "Tiptaft" marks on sliders as I never saw or tested any. I thought Tiptaft mainly made C.E.F. badges, which at the time of my study had not suffered from the re-strike problem, so I left those well alone. I hear that has changed now? Officers bronzes were also not copied at that time. I have seen some of the ones mentioned like the Loyal Suffolk Hussars, but again, the devil is in the detail and they just dont get the solder right.

As for all these badges turning up now with named sliders, I never saw any Lambourne marked sliders either, even in the mid 60's when I started collecting British military badges, and having had many hundreds of badges through my hands over the years, the only makers mark I noted was on the C.E.F's as reported in the Charlton catalogues and those tiny Gaunt tabs, so I cannot speak for the ones with incised names on sliders, but for the ones I have seen I tended to leave well alone, which was just my own predilection.

Last edited by R.J. Bradshaw; 12-08-20 at 11:25 PM. Reason: addendum