View Single Post
Old 13-07-20, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
I have noticed in the last few weeks there has been a lot of Victorian/Edwardian Cheshire Regiment badges on Ebay by various sellers, all are lugged and all have a round sweat hole in them, as these badges came into use in December 1900, and sliders started to come in circa 1903, to have six for sale this week at the same time makes me a bit suspicious, and also over the last few months several broached versions with a round sweat hole have also been for sale. My version of the badge has a slotted hole in comparison. I am I being a bit paranoid?
The dates of lugs is always a difficult one. However it was longer than 3 years. The cap badge in question was sealed in 1897 to replace the collar badge which was worn on the new FSC. The introduction of the New Pattern (aka Brodrick) cap in 1905 saw the cap badge sealed patterns changed to a long vertical shank. The replacement of the Brodrick from 1906 saw the length of the vertical shank shortened. However in reality lugs were worn on Brodricks and peaked caps where old stock was used up and some regiments were slow to change. For regiments in India and hot climes the FSC was worn up to 1914 so the lugged badges would have been used up to then,

The previous post about brasing holes being a sign of a gneuine badge is generally true for Vci and Edwardian badges but in WW1 many makers did not use them and by WW2 it was common not to have brsaing holes. I have lots of examples from my grandfather's WW2 badges.

Alan