View Single Post
Old 16-07-14, 01:05 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The blackened ones shown look like similiar coloured badges that have turned thta colour because they have been buried for a period of time. The bimetals can be seen wear cleaning has removed the discolouration from the highpoints but the staining remains below. As you say 'heavily coroded brownish'. I would avoid paying a premium for such an item without further proof that such a thing existed.

These should not be confused with Officers bronzed badges.
Once again, I agree with Alan.

Of the thousands of recruits that passed through the 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Volunteer Regiment during the Great War not one postcard I have seen in in decades of sifting through them in Grimsby has shown a dull/blackened/bronzed badge worn by an OR.

The example I have quoted is the only photograph proof of a standard sphinx being worn that is not polished. No photographic proof has yet to surface of any ORs wearing anything like it.

I have heard of accounts of some regiments applying tar to badges to discolour them for the purposes of trench warfare, but I've not heard as much as much as even 'hear say' from a badge dealer that the Lincolns did this, let alone a veterans account.

Mooke, I do not care as to who told you that the rocking horse pattern was circa WW1 what I would like to know is what is the evidence that person used to reach this conclusion? I've seen thousands of postcards to the regiment and its almost impossible to identify cap badge variations. Even if one card were encountered with the rocking horse pattern in wear, what is to say this is not a badge drawn from stores, manufactured pre war? The 4th battalion were still wearing slade wallis equipment in the late 1930's! I hope you understand my point.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 16-07-14 at 01:14 PM.