View Single Post
Old 25-08-08, 01:59 PM

Bosleys have WW1 pair and hallmarked silver Pals badge in their forthcoming auction. The badge was been brooched and is engraved" No 17947 F.Sansom 3rd C.B. K.L.R. Presented 18th November 1914.

The cataloguer must have been having an off day because he says " It must be presumed that Sansom recieved his ( cap badge) the following month by virtue of being in the 3rd Cadet Battalion"

Whilst Lord Derby only recieved permission for his crest to be used by the Liverpool Pals as a cap badge on 14th October 1914 it must have taken some time for the silver Pals badges to have been made and hall marked, especially in the quantity required.So for the badge above to have been presented on 18th November 1914 seems quite reasonable. I also have post card showing the presentation of silver badges and this is captioned on the front" November 26th 1914". It would appear therefore that there were at least two silver badge presentation parades.

I would have thought the inscription 3rd C.B stood for 3rd City Battalion and not cadet battalion but there it is in black and white in the catalogue.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”