View Single Post
Old 06-10-20, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
What makes you think non voided Parachute Regiment badges were produced later in the war?
As already stated earlier in this thread, a sealed card introducing the Para badge with a voided crown was released in March 1943. It seems that the distribution was very slow and not a lot of photos showing the new badge being worn that year can be found in the archives. This is not necessarily surprising as 1st Brigade was fighting in North Africa and couldn’t get the new badge easily. Most of the soldiers were still wearing the AAC badge at the time.
Sgt Lewis Tamera Oct 1943.JPG NA 7682 New Para Badge Oct 1943 Sgt M Lewis 2 Para.jpg
One photo (source IWM) shows Sgt Lewis of 2 Para in Oct 1943 returning to Tamera (Tunisia) after recovering from multiple wounds. The legend says “new badge of the Parachute Regt” with voided crown. He could have secured the coveted badge in England.

The 6th AB Div was in formation mid-1943. The various units could have received the new badge in priority. This photo (source IWM) was taken in Sept 1943 during the Allied paratroopers’ competition in Leven.
HU 128106 Sept 1943 Allied paratroopers' competition in Leven.jpg
We can see a collection of Para badges. Voided or non-voided, that’s impossible to tell.

To illustrate how procuring the new badge was a struggle, here’s a photo (source IWM) taken in April 1944 with three members of 4 Para (Privates Healy, Collins & Bowman) in Italy (Venafro) die casting the badge using melted-down metal from safety caps of mortar bombs.
Privates Healy Collins Bowman ca 1943 NA14473 April 1944.jpg

I tried to provide evidences that the new badge was difficult to get in 1943 and most likely the non-voided version would have been produced in priority as being the official standard accepted by the Army Clothing Dpt.

Quote:
The Gaunt officers pattern was first produced with Birmingham date letter S which apparently runs from May/June 1942 to May/June 1943 when the first badges were likely to have been made and stamped with an S before the change to date later T.
I know of a hallmark silver Gaunt badge which is stamped with an S. It is reproduced in O. Lock’s book on page 90 and it is voided.

Quote:
I would wager that they produced an other ranks badge with a non voided crown around the same time which apart from the solid crown is of the same pattern as the silver officers badge.
It would be good to have some evidence.

Quote:
I don't believe that the first badge was the voided crown badge that most collectors seem to think.
The sealed card provides good evidence, though.

Quote:
For what it's worth I also don't believe a brass badge was worn by the Parachute Regiment, the examples I have seen tend to be of the patterns that were produced in white metal and nickel plated on brass which could explain the brass badges in existence.
I would agree with that.