View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Luke, thank you for your input on my badge and for clarifying your point about the lugs. Honestly, lugs might be the only tangible element to separate older badges from less obvious copies of this very controversial badge type.

Modern copies are relatively easy to spot. Besides lugs, the rear of these is quite shiny and glossy with a particular lack of details like on the M&B repro that was mentioned (see a comparison below with my badge).
Attachment 231776

That leaves a vast grey area for the older copies produced prior to the 70s.

I still believe this pattern was genuinely issued but has maybe been restricken more often than the other ones.
Non-voided para badges were first issued later in the war and have been extensively copied or reissued, some of them being mounted on sliders like the Gaunt type. So why this type could not have had a similar fate?

The rear of badges is often revealing. I put together Silverwash’s and my badge along with the badge that is the topic of interest in this thread.
Attachment 231778 Attachment 231779

It looks to me the latter is quite glossy and immaculate as opposed to the other ones despite better level of details. Could it be another way of spotting a fake?

As usual other comments and opinions are appreciated.
What makes you think non voided Parachute Regiment badges were produced later in the war? The Gaunt officers pattern was first produced with Birmingham date letter S which apparently runs from May/June 1942 to May/June 1943 when the first badges were likely to have been made and stamped with an S before the change to date later T.
I would wager that they produced an other ranks badge with a non voided crown around the same time which apart from the solid crown is of the same pattern as the silver officers badge.
I don't believe that the first badge was the voided crown badge that most collectors seem to think. For what it's worth I also don't believe a brass badge was worn by the Parachute Regiment, the examples I have seen tend to be of the patterns that were produced in white metal and nickel plated on brass which could explain the brass badges in existence.