View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Very interesting discussion, Gents about a controversial badge.
I have a similar one which came with a 1945 Kangol beret.
Attachment 231300 Attachment 231301

I've made a few close-up comparisons with the photos provided by Marinus. We can clearly see the die flaws on mine.
Attachment 231305Attachment 231304

However, the badges don't seem quite identical, particularly the lion.
Attachment 231303

What's interesting is the way the unsymmetrical lugs distance which makes me think that the badge is original to the beret.
Of note, my badge has been slightly polished (rigging lines and crown) which doesn't seem to be the case for the other one.
Attachment 231306

I would love to see a better photo of Paul's badge. Difficult to come up with a definitive conclusion on this variant as it seems.
Looking forward to seeing your comments.
Sorry about being so slow.

I have attached some photos, they are not great quality. The brass one has some differences, (there is a separate older thread on brass badges so may add to that one rather than debate them here) its here because its a very similar badge to the one under scrutiny.

no die flaws, and different feet and no dustbin lid. The feathers are much more rounded and defined, and the thickness and general feel is better than the white metal. From the back the brass is much more defined. The rigging looks the same and i see no issues with that design.

I do not have the white metal one as I returned it, mostly because of the braze to the front, and lack of rear definition. I do have another similar white metal one , with only one of the die flaws that I can see. I will keep that one just in case someone comes up with a definitive case.

Kind Regards
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg badges side view.jpeg (88.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg badges top view.jpeg (57.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg badges rear view.jpg (79.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg badges rear view2.jpeg (93.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg badge lugs view.jpeg (93.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg badges front view.jpg (55.2 KB, 33 views)