View Single Post
Old 20-06-22, 07:44 AM

Lovely picture, and lots of good suggestions...

To add some from my own research, and also quoting from Mike Obborne's brilliant "Grandad's Army":

In June 1916, the Kent Volunteer Regiment organised 48 corps into 12 Battalions, listed in GA's appendices. Some of these were KVR and some were EKVR, but the numbering followed no particular geographic pattern. This 1916 date ties in with other observations on dating the picture.

The 8th (Weald & Headcorn) Battalion included Ashford, Cranbrook, Goudhurst and Hawkhurst corps. As far as I can make out, the bottom scroll on the drum says Cranbrook. There is no record of a specific Cranbrook VTC, but Kent organised quite early under the KVF badge, so only two of the 48 corps had a different badge, and only six had a different buttonhole badge. So, not a surprise...

To confuse matters slightly, GA cites two "B Companies": 3rd Btn (Tonbridge) in the KVR, where Tonbridge is B Company; 4th Btn (Thanet & Broadstairs) in the EKVR, where Ramsgate is B Company. Could the writing on the back be alluding to the writer's own company, rather that the picture?

I can't offer any explanation of the "M" at this time, but will investigate further.

Great thread, by the way. Right up my street!

Very best regards,

Tim