Thread: Patina
View Single Post
Old 14-07-11, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
In regard to this thread I would be interested to see what the general concensus of opinion would be with an item I have & have pondered what to do with - I have a nice Victorian RMLI HP which is missing a lug but it has a lovely dark patina to it, I was going to send it to Dave to be repaired but he explained that the patina may well be affected by the process of affixing the new lug. So, initially it put me off having it done but I wonder now what some of you would do in the same position?
Would you stick with the dark colour of age (which I do like) or do I have it fixed & then polish it to even out the colour?

Regards....Andy
HI Andy,

I acquired a RE GV 1916 economy badge minus its slider some time ago, this badge had an extremely attractive patina and I was reluctant to have the repair carried out due to the same concerns that you have. In the end after discussing it with Dave I sent it off to him to have the repair carried out. Upon its return I was delighted to see that Dave had carried out a very convincing repatination of the badge, so much so that I now have this example as part of my framed RE collection taking the place of the original complete example that I had before.

Ry