View Single Post
Old 16-01-15, 09:42 PM

Default 1st Australian Corps Ski School

I am the daughter of Lindsay Salmon. He who was one of six Australians chosen to teach the troops to ski in combat in the Lebanon Mountains during the second world war. They were under the command of Major James Riddell.
I have written a book which is principally my fathers biography - 'The King of Hotham; my father by Gillian Salmon'. I tell the story of the ski troops and some of its members.
The son of a New Zealand soldier also attached to this unit is going to re-produce James Riddell's book 'Dog in the Snow' which tells the story of the ski troops.
We were looking to connect with anyone who had been a student (or relatives of anybody - as most passed on now) at the ski school.
Harriet Tuckey daughter of 'Griffith Pugh' (a British soldier also attached to the school) published her fathers biography 'Everest' just recently.
I recognized my father in some of the photos on this page, together with Johnny Abbottsmith the soldier standing next to him. Be keen to contact any members with information about the ski troops. and find out who Pol Air1 grandfather was? I have a photo album that belonged to my father. There are two badges on the front - I am not sure how to post the photo.
Gillian

Last edited by Drift; 18-01-15 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Had to add more information