Thread: RN Sennet Hat
View Single Post
Old 04-07-12, 07:45 PM

Default Sennet hat

Pete I thank you very much for your detailed response.

I do not actually have the hat with me as yet, its on its way to me from overseas so when I receive it I will take more detailed photos & post. I dont know what ship is on the cap ribbon but I have written to the person I have purchased it from & asked him to clarify.

I knew the cap ribbon was likely not orriginal to the hat, but that did not bother me that much as I have period ribbons I can replace it with. & I am aware of the many unofficial ribbons of the Victorian/Edwardian period.

But what really concerned me was that star shaped patch on the top of the crown, I have never seen the top of a sennet hat so I did not know that there was to be any design there. I have RPPC's of sailors wearing sennets & none show any design on the crown, so this was of concern to me.

I have att'd a couple of photos below to show this.....
If you feel that it is "kosher' then thats is good enough for me.

The hat has cost me a bit, but it came with good provenance from an old respected collection, but what I dont want is a theatical reproduction that might have been worn by theatre/vaudeville actors of the period.
So you have helped to reassure me somewhat.

Again I appreciate your time to respond in detail, & another request pls -- could you post photos of your sennet hat?

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratings front Niobe .jpg (64.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg rating senn hat.jpg (45.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Rating sennet hat2.jpg (43.1 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by RCN; 04-07-12 at 09:12 PM.