View Single Post
Old 13-01-15, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
However, I think I have found a confirming reference:

Bengal Cavalry Regt's by R.G.Harris Pub.Osprey Men at Arms Pages 14-15.

Quote:

"Lovett provides a magnificent study of a mounted Jat Sower of 1908. On the metal Shoulder-chains he would have the metal title, as shown in our selection of badges, incorporating the Silver Plume and numerals of Brass"

I can't show the selection of badges as I ain't got the book, but I'm sure someone on the forum has?
Sorry, missed this completely. I have the book here and there is indeed a selection of eleven badges shown on page 39, of which number 8 has the caption:
Shoulder badge, 6th Cavalry, early 1900s
It shows a shoulder badge with text VI BC (thus not 6 C as the subject here). In the middle there is a POW feathers, but the scroll with the ICH DIEN is absent (broken?). The picture is rather dark. I will try to scan it later in the day.

My conclusion is that the badge from the book is pre 1903 (when the title included Bengal Cavalry) and the one here is post 1903 (after dropping the word Bengal due to the unification).

I have also seen a rude picture of a cap badge (officer's I guess) post 1906 (6th King Edward's Own Cavalry) which does not show the POW feathers any more. I assume that they were then also removed from the shoulder titles. Thus the badge here was rather short living.

And as an add on to the lineage already shown by GriffMJ: http://hcvv.home.xs4all.nl/milweb/Br...alry/cav18.pdf

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages