Thread: Good reference?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-09, 06:49 PM

Just to add to Shauns comments,we are fortunate enough in New Zealand to be isolated from the curse of faking.It seems the badges that have been faked are limited to a few rarer W.W.1 badges as well as the mentioned W.W.2 badge the L.R.D.G.(Long Range Desert Group).

One of the rarest New Zealand W.W.1 badges is a prime example,the NZ Camel Corp cap badge.One was recently offered on a auction site for $1200(400 pound),the seller thought he had a genuine badge ,he said he bought it off a Military dealer,but the badge was clearly a cast badge where the original is sandcast(very hard to fake the effects of sandcasting).Fortunately there were no takers.

The New Zealand Maori Poineer Corps(W.W.1) is the odd one out as it is'nt especially rare,and i must admit i was caught out several years back buying one from a U.K internet seller.They sure look the part ,and had me convinced for a while,untill news spread through the grapevine that these were in fact fakes.

So as Shaun alluded to ,their are a good core of badge experts over here(i'm not one,still learning), only willing to share their knowledge .And if in doubt ask questions first before you buy.

Cheers Iain

Last edited by pukman; 10-01-09 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo