View Single Post
Old 25-07-22, 06:25 PM

Default PRI badge. *LAST BADGE*

Badge ten *LAST BADGE*
I've included this badge as it's the last one to have been used by the Ayrshire Yeomanry, although not an issued badge, it was worn on many occasions by the Ayrshire Yeomanry Squadron upon becoming part of the Queen's Own Yeomanry.
It's a copy from the Gaunt die.
In conversation with one of the AY OCA members, he served late 60's to mid 70's, he said you were issued with a staybright, most went straight to the PRI and bought the metal one, it was similar to my one attached.
Many other OCA members have the same badge, bought from the PRI.
Many wore it on courses in Bovington or Catterick etc in the 80's, instead of the running fox badge of the QOY, also when the Sqn were just together, especially during the 70's early 80's, the badge was worn, when the whole QOY Regiment was together, the fox Badge had to be worn.
In 1992 the AY Squadron became part of the Scottish Yeomanry, so while on the Annual Sunday Yeomanry parade in Ayr, they were no longer part of the QOY, and had no badge for the new Scottish Yeomanry, so the PRI Ayrshire Yeomanry cap badge was worn for the last time, as it's predecessor, the Bazaar made badge, unofficial, but worn.

Attached is from my collection, this was from the clothing storeman in Bovington in the 80's, he collected badges from all the Regiments that turned up for courses, so I'm happy mine is a proper one from the Ayrshire Yeomanry Squadron.

Attachment 2
Photo from an Ayrshire newspaper, November 1994, from an OCA member who was on the parade, wearing the PRI badge, as the Scottish Yeomanry badges had not been issued and they'd left the QOY, the authorities kicked up a stink about this and the RAC mailed fist badge had to be worn.

Attachment 3
This is an OCA members PRI badge, he and a friend wore them unofficially when attached to the 9th/12th Lancers in Germany doing UN training, it was the early 90's, they'd left the QOY and were supposed to be wearing the RAC badge.

Some notes,
The facing left gilding metal collar badge was worn on the field service cap, also the beret by 152 Regt RA.

An interesting badge, it's the same die as the PRI, same goldy metal, but it has the slider mark, JR Gaunt London Ltd, perhaps an earlier badge privately produced by Gaunt for the PRI before the unmarked ones?

All the anodised have been copied, restruck, faked in gilding metal, I had one of the OCA members tell me they bought one from Du Morgi, and wore that!

As you have read, like the KOSB, the badges of family members are handed down to sons, nephews and even friends, so you will see on photographs a few older Badges amongst the issued ones.

I'm still awaiting some information from various sources, so I'll update as and when.

I think that's it, unless anyone has any additions?

I hope this thread is of help to members.

Thank you for taking the time even just to read it.
Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_104221492_HDR.jpg (119.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_104229135_HDR.jpg (119.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.7 KB, 17 views)