View Single Post
Old 25-07-22, 05:52 PM

Default 1927 small of badge

Badge six
The Proud Trooper book says that 'In 1927 a further design appeared, this time with the lion's head much slimmer than previously.
After discussion with a couple of forum members, plus members of the AY OCA, and evidence, the badge described above is the what is commonly called the 'small of' badge.
Looking through most badge books, this badge is described as being sealed on the 5th December 1951.
The small of I have in my collection, and many others I've seen, all look to be of an earlier manufacture, and there are some that look to fit the bill for a 50's badge.
So on further investigation, I had two photos sent to me from an AY OCA member, both show this badge in use in WW2, the photos are dated 1944 and 1945 respectively.
If you look at the badge, there is a clear void from the beard between the wing and the body of the lion, this makes a distinct 'V' shape, also the very distinct curve of the neck, I've zoomed in on both Badges, I've also put different filters on them, and they're definitely this badge.
Also, the Lions mane is flared out, unlike all the above badges, this can also be seen.
In the Proud Trooper book, there is a photo of the S/NCO's in 1935, again, I've studied this photo closely, there are a mix of 1916 badges etc, but there are also a number of the 1927 Small of badge, you can make out the curved neck.
This is the badge they stuck with, and obviously a sealed version of it was made in 1951, this I believe is badge eight.
There was obviously a shortage of this badge at the outbreak of WW2, which will be described in the badge seven section below.
There is a dreaded Martin Marsh of this badge, which can easily fool.

Attachment 1
Is from my collection

Attachment 2 & 3
Are the zoomed in photos of the above badge being worn in WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_103808757.jpg (119.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_103817032.jpg (119.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image~6.jpg (17.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg image~5.jpg (17.6 KB, 19 views)