View Single Post
Old 25-07-22, 03:55 PM

Badge two, the Bazaar made badge.
In around May 1916, the AY were concentrated at Kentara, Egypt. The Proud Trooper book says the following, 'It was about this time that consideration was given to a change in the design of the Regimental badge. Two Yeomen put forward sketches with a design.
They were made by native brass workers, who were in the habit of producing all types of badges and numerals
Unpolished brass Badges with scroll were issued soon afterwards.
About August, September 1916 polished brass badges were received from UK, sample having been sent home to a maker'.(See badge three for this badge).
So from this narrative, we can see there was a sand cast Bazaar made badge, the badges attached are believed to be those badges.
The first is mine, a trade with a fellow forum member, the second and third is from a member of the Ayrshire Yeomanry Old Comrades Association, and I've seen another in a forum members collection.
I believe these to be genuine, they look so different to the Imperial Yeomanry pattern, and the later 1916 patterns,but look as if they have been taken from a sketch,and all look from the same cast but with slightly different notches, bumps etc.
Sadly, no photos of them in use, but I think the evidence alone would say these are ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_103707330.jpg (119.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_103713047.jpg (118.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by 3dg; 25-07-22 at 07:05 PM.