Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 11-08-11, 08:27 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Good morning Dave,

Those Scottish badges that you show certainly add to the conundrum and in my humble estimation, if they are genuine I could only guess at them being perhaps trial badges for the slouch hat possibly. Not very concisive of me I know.

Andy,

As for your slidered Camerons badge, I cant think of a reason for the traces of braze that are evident unless it originally had loops. Could it be possible that the slider was an adaptation carried out whilst in service for wear on a particular form of headdress, or has it been done to make the badge more attractive to the collectors market?

Toby,

Yes, I can understand the inclination to take official documentation at face value. As we know, subsequent, trends bear a large impact in many instances, sometimes across the board, others by individual formations. An open mind is the key.

Graham,

As to your point regarding what happened to the badges, I would assume that large numbers were sent for scrap in the years following their demise, just the thing for 1916 economy badges or maybe .303 cases?

Regards to all.

Ry
Ry,
my feeling is that during the manufacture of my Camerons badge it started the production process destined to be lugged but left with a slider, I do not think it is a local i.e. "in unit" adaptation?

As for the Scottish slidered badges, I'm sure we had a perfectly logical explanation a year or so ago, I think it may have been Alan O? I think the answer was that they were for use in the FSH, the slider being more practical than trying to pierce holes to accommodate lugs?

Andy