View Single Post
Old 13-04-21, 02:22 PM

Just for the record,

THe ASC brought all cooks together and was tasked with training them under one training syllabus. These men came from all of the Regiments & Corps throughout the British Army, this took place in or about the 1880's.

When I say Cooks, I mean all those individuals who are tasked with Cooking and Preparing food, ie
Butchers, Bakers, Chefs, and a thousand more job titles included, which came under the heading "Catering".

It was the responsibility of each Regiment to employ their own Cooks, most of them were never actually qualified cooks. Hense the reason that these Regiments had a high proportion of food poisoning throughout their histories.

Itsoon became a major problem in the mid 1850's and as such became the responsibility of the ASC to train "All" Cooks in the trades needed, so as to ensure all persons were of a sufficient standard of training, so as to prep and cook the food required. This would ensure maximum usage of the products being cooked with minimal wastage and to also ensure the safe cooking of this produce so as to ensure it was edible.

I would not be troubled to see a baker/cook/butcher wearing a trade badge from this period for that units or "his own use" recognised/approved by them. Remember !! Once trained, this individual will return to his parent unit to carryout his duties, whether he is recognised as a member of the ASC or as a continued member of that unit.

I agree with you all, it is an unusual badge, not seen before, but please remember, he can wear what he wishes, under his own roof !! No RSM ? Then anything goes.

I would be inclined to mark this badge as follows;

Trade badge:- "Unofficial" Butcher (Meat Clever over Sharpener)
I would not be inclined to collect it as such, but a member of the ACC might.

Regards

Ken (The Fatboy)