View Single Post
Old 17-02-09, 11:18 AM

Hello Chris

Many thanks indeed for your thorough and comprehensive posting about the kind of indicators I should be looking for in an original/genuine badge. Glad to hear I’m not the only one still learning about things – and there does seem so much to learn!

You’ve certainly covered a lot of ground here, and it has given me plenty to think on. It was interesting to read about your weighing experiment as well, and whilst “feel” is important that this shouldn’t necessarily be the only consideration. Looking at the two D.C.L.I. badges you’ve put up I can see what you mean about the one with the lugs not having very crisp detail in where it says “Cornwall”, as seen from the back, compared with the one with the slider. Imparting your knowledge like this will be a great help to me I’m sure, and out of interest I thought I would just weigh my Lambourne badge to see what it was – 12g, so that would seem consistent. Nothing that has been said so far has made me doubt this badge is authentic, unlike the Gaunt one.

The variety of styles, even in such a common badge as the D.C.L.I. one is also intriguing. The Lambourne badge has much large tassels than those on other examples I’ve seen (more like upside down thistles!) and the lettering size of “Cornwall” is much smaller, which together gives it quite a distinctive look. One final point – I notice that in both of your latest examples there is metal between the tops of the tassels, which is something I haven’t seen before, though this is probably just a coincidence. Anyway, thank you again for your posting. I’m sure it will not only be of use to me, but will also help others like me who are just starting out. I do feel myself being drawn into badge collecting more and more!

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 17-02-09 at 02:29 PM.