View Single Post
Old 29-11-22, 09:13 PM

Hello Roy, I just discovered this great forum while Googling "W. Jones Corkhill Dublin" because I have a button with that particular backstamp and found this thread. I believe you had asked if anyone else had a button with this exact backstamp, so I am replying now. I haven't photographed the button yet, but will if it is of any interest here. It is a perfectly flat button about the size of a U.S. Dime with a typical Royal British Crown on the top, the classic Irish Harp at the bottom, and Old English font capital 'C' on the left side and 'G' on the right. There is a fine horizontal lined background. I am wondering if the letters might stand for Constabulary Guard? In addition to the larger lettered W. Jones address on the back, there is much smaller lettering above this that I believe also says "button maker to the King". If no one responds to this post I will probably begin a new thread with an image of it. I acquired this button from a metal detectorist who I believe found it in North Carolina, or Georgia, USA, but I will try to get more info. I bought some 'dug' U.S. War of 1812 American buttons from him and had hoped this one might have been lost at the same place and time.