View Single Post
Old 03-06-19, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Simon
I have seen quite a few King George VI grenades gilded. My reason for the Quarter-Master not wearing a metal grenade is just an opinion. However i have seen no evidence, and why would he be different to other Officers ? KLR put me on to the Public Records Office and i now have the sealed pattern no.s.( somewhere ) wo1,2 and 3 are not mentioned the word staff is though. And the type of materials is also mentioned. Dress regs 1904 mentions the Bronze grenade.
Andy
Andy,

As per Tobys post #54, the reasons are explained.

"A really important note to make here is that Quartermasters did not originally have a regular commission as they do now (albeit LE category), they held only Honorary Rank and were made to dress differently to all other officers to make it clear that they were not perceived as gentlemen. It seems entirely likely to me that at that time of Honorary rank (the title was always along the lines: "Quartermaster AND Honorary Lieutenant"), a special badge was worn that differentiated the QM's cap from the other officers. I believe it is not for no reason that it is similar to the RSMs badge, from whom most Quartermasters sprang."

This thread also highlights others work that concludes that the badge is indeed a Comm. QM badge.

If as you think its a WO's badge, who do you think then wore the bimetal version?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges