View Single Post
Old 02-03-16, 08:22 PM

Default A makeover for granddad’s old badge?

Many thanks for the comments Gents. Although it’s not obvious from my poor photos I’m afraid, whilst the tiger itself was painted with what seems to be a black matt paint, the grass on which it stands was actually painted a very dark green.

To be honest I don’t think the badge was originally blackened, and the way in which the thick white gloss has been applied to the two scrolls, practically obscuring all the lettering, makes me inclined to think we could perhaps be looking at the work of a child?

Maybe someone got hold of their granddad’s old cap badge and thought they’d give it a makeover!? Having said that, I was concerned I may have missed something, and that there could have been some other legitimate reason why this would have been done to, what was, a perfectly good badge??

I am tempted to remove all the remaining traces of paint, which would certainly double its value given the dealer I obtained it from had it marked up at a mere £7.00. But for now I think I will keep it just as it is, even if it is a bit of an oddity!!

Anyhow, thank you all again for taking the trouble to respond.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”