View Single Post
Old 24-01-14, 09:00 PM

Default Royal Fusiliers’ nickel badge query

Hello Keith

It’s good to be back, though as ever I don’t know how long this stint will last! I’m certainly not an expert on volunteer badges per se, and don’t know anything about the badges of the Royal Fusiliers, so I’m afraid I can’t help you with your question. My assertion about the 1901 date was based on Julian’s research, and his reference to the War Office directive dated 22nd May 1901; for which I gave the link to his posting about this. If he could, of course, it might be good if Julian were able to post up the actual wording of the directive? Just so we can see exactly what it does say about volunteer battalions being allowed to have badges like that of their parent regiments, though in white metal and without the honours. As you’ll see from my latest posting above, this does seem to fit for the Leicestershire 1st Vol. Battn and their adoption of a version of the regulars’ tiger cap badge. But maybe some volunteer battalions had already applied to use badges like their parent regiments before the 1901 directive?? As I say, I’m afraid I don’t know, so can’t help you with the date of your Royal Fusiliers’ nickel badge.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 25-01-14 at 08:01 PM.