View Single Post
Old 23-04-20, 07:22 PM

As stated above all the first pattern badges I have in my collection have a notably different font, in both style and size, to the usual example that keeps cropping up for offer as a genuine 7th Batt'n badge.
My collection of first pattern badges is as shown in photo 1(Officers lhs & Ors rhs).
Photo 2 shows a comparison between a regular pattern bi-metal example and what I consider to be the common copy. The bi-metal example is in virtually unworn condition and whilst the font may look close to that on the blackened badge it is softer and slightly smaller. BM regular font is approx 3.47mm high whereas the blackened example is approx 3.81mm high. The difference is more noticeable in the hand.
Photo 3 shows a comparison between an EI issue and the badge under discussion where the difference is more noticeable.
photos 4 & 5 shows the comparison between what I consider to be an original example on the left and the badge under discussion. I have enhanced the image and the original one does have more blackened finish left than shows up in the photo.
The pattern of the gems on the band around the crowns also differ between the copy and all the others.
It is also the case that the font on both the Vol Batt'n badges and the "C" spelling used by the 16th Batt'n (photos 6 & 7) are also of the smaller font.
There are blackened Officers examples in the Officers' tray down the bottom.
Hope this is of some help.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_b21.jpg (96.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_b25.jpg (117.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_b23.jpg (114.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_b24.jpg (103.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_b22.jpg (115.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.jpg (77.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0682.jpg (71.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by 41st; 24-04-20 at 07:50 AM.